- About Us
- Support Us
Building for Sustainability
Building for Sustainability: Design for the Long Term
CCLF encourages the use of energy-efficient building standards and environmentally friendly materials in the design and construction of community real estate developments. Toward this end, CCLF is pleased to offer several sustainable design resources to help CDCs and housing cooperatives create well-designed, cost-efficient affordable housing and facilities:
- In 2009, CCLF launched a dynamic new online resource, Building for Sustainability: Resources for Sustainable Building in Chicagoland. Providing focused information on environmental sustainability, this website serves as a starting point for community developers interested in initiating, incorporating, or expanding sustainable design elements into their construction and rehab projects.
- CCLF annually holds an intensive two-day Building for Sustainability Workshop about the issues community developers face when they consider building green.
- In select loans, CCLF has accepted a higher-than-usual loan-to-value ratio (LTV) in recognition of the life-cycle cost benefits of green design. CCLF is in the process of refining a Green Lending Program to encourage even more developers to feature green design elements in their projects.
- CCLF regularly hosts a Sustainable Builders Working Group for veteran community development corporations, contractors, architects, lawyers, financial institutions, consultants, advocates, and others interested in supporting truly sustainable community projects.
- In 2008, CCLF published A Guide to Building for Sustainability for affordable housing and other community projects, as a follow-up to a similar guide published in 2001.
To be notified about future workshops, join our mailing list.